Monday, July 27, 2020

A Good Work

I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”Philippians 1:6

Each day when I walk, I change up my route a bit, but not my destination.  My destination is a bench on the side of a winding sidewalk within big beautiful trees.  It’s in the middle of an area surrounded by tennis courts, a big swimming pool and lots of activity from the residents of that community.  A few days ago, as I arrived at the winding sidewalk, I noticed a small structure up ahead to the left.  As I approached it, I determined that it was something built by the hands of a small architect with big dreams.  I could just see a small boy or girl carefully stacking this stick one way and another stick the other.  I looked inside and saw two rather large stones that were intentionally placed inside no doubt.  Every day since then, I’ve been intrigued to see that structure untouched…unchanged…unfinished.  I began wondering if the builder would ever come back?  Would he change anything or add another dimension to it?  Or, was this an abandoned project due to boredom, frustration, or impatience?  But then I wondered, what if this structure hadn’t been abandoned and was sitting in wait for the builder to return with the next great level.  What if the little builder had been riding his bike to a home being built to see what building item would be discarded?  I’ll bet the little structure wonders if his builder will be coming back?  

Sometimes I feel like that little structure…waiting and watching each day trying to figure out what God is up to.  Some days I can feel Him arranging things…stacking things up…intentionally placing things inside my heart.  But other days I don’t see Him hanging around…I don’t sense any expansion of my faith…I don’t hear His voice.  But this I know:  As I sit here as an unfinished project I have not been abandoned.  I know that as we awake daily to the same circumstances in our world, God is out there, changing things on our behalf.  We can know that just because we see the chaos of our world doesn’t mean God has lost control of our circumstances. 

No matter what you are experiencing during this season I want you to know that your Builder is coming back!  He has neither abandoned you nor forgotten about you.  He is collecting and arranging the next beautiful season of your life with purpose and peace.  

No comments: