Monday, July 20, 2020

Reaching For my Harp

By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion.  There on the poplars we hung our harps.”Psalm 137:2

This verse has always tugged at my heartstrings like few other verses.  This was written at a time following the Babylonian invasion of Jerusalem.  They destroyed their surrounding city walls, burned their beautiful buildings, killed a large amount of its residents and kidnapped some of the strongest survivors.  I’ve always wondered if these survivors felt lucky to have lived.  No doubt, whole families were shattered by these circumstances.  I can just picture the writer of this Psalm sitting next to the water one morning reflecting on everything lost…the new normal as we would say.  I can imagine memories of family gatherings and walking into their temple to worship God dominated the mind and heart.  There was nothing to sing about, no joy that prompted the fingers to pull back on the harp strings…silence instead of joyful music.  What a sad reminder as the writer’s eyes glanced over to the quiet harp hanging on the tree.

This past weekend Bruce and I spent some precious time with two of our best friends at their lake home.  It was a great time, and for a moment, thoughts of viruses, riots, national division and a landscape of anger, fear and hatred dissipated against a weekend of fun.  Yesterday morning as I sat by the water reflecting on everything our circumstances hold, I too longed for large family gatherings.  I was saddened to consider how long it may before I walked into those church doors again and stood shoulder to shoulder with my brothers and sisters in Christ?  I felt a tear or two escape even as I watched the beautiful sunrise in a place where I felt loved, secure and celebrated in friendship.  And then I remembered this… I was not alone…I was not forgotten.  Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need.  He brought me beside those still waters this weekend, and indeed restored my soul in the midst of our all chaos.  He reminded me that no matter what I face, even a valley that feels like death I don’t have to be fearful.  He is always there to comfort me with His word and His presence.  He will never allow any enemy or circumstance to overtake me.  My cup still runs over in greater quantity than my uncertainties.  With God before me, His goodness and mercy follow behind me, and because of the sacrifice of Christ I dwell in the Spirit of the Lord not just calm times but all times.  

And so, with this knowledge surrounding me I reach for the trees and regain my harp to produce the beautiful music of the Lord.


No comments: