Monday, April 19, 2021

Audience of One


But as he came closer…and saw the city ahead, he began to weep.” Luke 19:41

This morning I grabbed a cup of coffee, my blanket, my air pods, and my phone and began my morning like I always do. While drinking my coffee, I listen to my worship music and scroll through the headlines until my brain awakens for prayer, meditation on the Word. This morning I saw a headline that said Carrie Underwood performed a medley of old hymns last night at the American Music Awards. I went to YouTube to see if I could find it and there she was…looking like an angel… accompanied by talented CeCe Williams for a bit…standing in front of a display of stained glass…robed choir surrounding her…the instruments building more with each note as if it would explode if it couldn’t release the music. I listened with my eyes closed thinking about the Lord hearing this beautiful string of melodious offerings. Suddenly, this verse came to mind and I began to cry. I recalled all the headlines I had previously scrolled through intentionally not reading them. Murder…riots…hatred…divisiveness… spiritual apathy… What happened to one nation under God?

It’s hard to look over the landscape of our nation and not ‘begin to weep.’ I miss the stained-glass backdrops of our churches. I miss the days when Sunday meant the majority was in church. I miss the huge revivals of yesterday where people waited in long lines to accept Christ as their Savior. I miss how despite our political parties, people honored each other and their views instead of spewing hatred. I miss potluck dinners and homemade ice cream at the church on Sunday nights. We are a nation of hate and have allowed the enemy to infiltrate our hearts and minds. When will we stand up against the culture’s definition of truth? When we will individually and collectively turn our hearts back to the Kingdom of God instead of the kingdom of the USA? God sits above our nation longing for hearts to return…spiritual boldness to arise…revivals to explode…His people to return. He has all the power to light the fire in each of our hearts and awaken His sleeping family.

I pray today everyone will take 5 minutes to listen with fresh ears…to behold the beauty of the Ancient of Days…to remember who God is in relation to who we are. At the end of the YouTube performance, I noticed all that passion…all those words…all that power looked as if it was delivered to an empty music hall. But then, I remembered she was singing to the same audience we sing to…a faithful God…a holy Creator…an audience of One.

https://youtu.be/B-Ryd6xwTn4




No comments: