Thursday, May 27, 2021

A Temple of Power

Surely you know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you!” 1 Co 3:16 (GNT)

 

This verse just might be the most understated truth in all of Christianity!  Why do I say that?  I only have to think back to being a teenager and having to make decisions between right and wrong.  My parents raised the four of us with a deep understanding of their expectations of behavior.  What they modeled to us was their desire for us in living out our lives.  Sometimes when having to make those decisions, I chose the wrong one, fully aware of the consequences.  However, I didn’t get caught every time because my parents weren’t with me.  There is no way I would have made those bad choices if they were by my side.

 

We have the remarkable indwelling of God’s Spirit within our heart who fully communicates with us as to His desired nature of our behavior and attitudes.  It’s so easy to gloss over the incredible truth that the same power that raised a murdered Man into a resurrected Savior is housed in us!  That means we continually have that power to access in all situations.  John Bevere, author of The Holy Spirit, made a powerful statement.  He wrote, ‘Every place you go, every conversation you have, and every activity you participate in, you take God’s Spirit with you’ p. 74.

 

Think about that…It is both encouraging and sobering!  I wrote down some questions to ponder when examining my own life.  Do the places I go honor God’s Spirit?  Do the conversations I have exemplify His character?  Do the activities I participate in quell His presence?  We are a culture who loves to take inventory of everything…how others made us feel…who has done us wrong…but are we taking inventory of our character, conduct, and conversation?  Are we dragging God’s Spirit into our desires or are we following God into His?  Intentionality is one of the hallmarks of discipline in any area of our lives.  When we carve out time daily for God’s Word, our worship, and seeking His presence through prayer our temples become more aligned with the image of Christ. 




No comments: