Thursday, October 9, 2008

Freedom in Knowledge!

“He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.” Daniel 2:22.

There is no other way to say - yesterday was a horrible day! I watched my sister with cancer painfully suffer through an examination that only God will be able to remove in time from my mind. I spent the rest of the day home alone crying for my sister and the rest of my family. Faithfully, God answered my prayer of complete rest last night with an awesome night's sleep - one I haven't been able to have in months. I knew that God would love me enough this morning to help me understand suffering. He did not disappoint! He has opened up new meaning for suffering. I had written in my book that sometimes suffering is God-ordained, God-driven and God-made. Through His light dwelling on this subject He has revealed an understanding that has been previously hidden from me. The best way to explain this is to put on my parental hat.

I have a will for my 18 year old daughter, Caroline to graduate from a 4 year university so I put that will into action and she is now going to ASU. She will remain under that will until its purpose is realized. My will for her was centered around my love for her and what good I want her to experience in life.

Suffering through discipline - If she doesn’t go to class and gets in academic trouble the university will place her under probation possibly losing her place at the college. I did not cause this suffering but it came as a result of her actions. This consequence would greatly grieve me.

Suffering through evil – While under the umbrella of my will, someone breaks into her room and robs/harms her. I did not cause this suffering but was a result of evil. This consequence would greatly grieve me.

I might use her experience to grow and show others but I didn’t send either of those. I had an ultimate will for the next four years and suffering came either as a result of sin or a result of evil.

I feel that this revelation is huge! God wills something for our lives never ordaining the suffering but ordaining the will. Under this will, the consequences of sin and/or evil may induce suffering. His response will always be the same as ours are as parents. We cry when our children cry, we hurt when they hurt, we grieve when they grieve but we never leave them and remain with them through the suffering under the original will. My comfort to her came out of love not whether she deserved comfort from the circumstances. I am not directing her daily suffering but responding to it. Such is the same from God.

Suffering is a by product of God’s will playing out based on our obedience and evil that is in the world. God’s will always comes in love and his motives/ways are always perfect. To relate this to my sister, it may be that God's will for her is to have a powerful ministry. Under this will, the evil of disease came but God is faithful daily to ease this burden and comfort His child.

Thank you Father for this amazing realization and how it applies to my life as a mother, sister and child of God. Amen!

5 comments:

Don said...

Brenda, this is deep and I don't exactly know how to respond. The one thing I do know is this: God has a divine will, which directs our paths, thoughts, and actions.

This ministry, ELM, is to be God focused in such a way that people come to HIM much like the man at the gate of the temple trying to get into the healing waters. His condition caught Jesus attention. Jesus asked the question "Do you want to be made well." Jesus addressed the man's physical
needs by saying "Rise, take up your bed and walk." Later on Jesus addressed the mans spiritual needs by saying "sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.

I know this comment does not tie in with your freedom in knowledge, and yet I feel this is what God wanted me to post.

Anonymous said...

The pain was not the result of God, it was a human intervention to help with a "worldly" disease. The suffering that was experienced was my responsibility because I needed the exam and so I used my Will to be done on this earth for purposes of relieving pain. God really had nothing to do with this pain or suffering, however He did comfort me and supported me later on that night while I recovered from the pain and suffering. Overall I remained within God's Will through this ordeal.

Anonymous said...

The pain was not the result of God, it was a human intervention to help.

Brenda Emmons said...

Amen and Amen!

Brenda Emmons said...

Amen and Amen!