Tuesday, March 8, 2011

'...Him who is able...'

“So Boaz said to Ruth, ‘My daughter, listen to me. Don’t go and glean in another field and don’t go away from here. Stay here with my servant girls. Watch the field where the men are harvesting, and follow along after the girls. I have told the men not to touch you. And when you are thirsty, go and get a drink from the water jars the men have filled.’” Ruth 2:8-9.

Upon the report of his workers, Boaz, the owner of the field, approached Ruth with these instructions. I have read this story too many times to recall, yet this morning the words ‘My daughter’ have come into the spotlight. As I am approaching my dad’s one year anniversary since his death, I am overwhelmed with the undeserved placement in my family where God created me. Like Ruth, I did nothing to deserve the extravagant love and kindness of my father. Upon introduction with Boaz, she had immediate acceptance and an open invitation for her protection, her hunger and her thirst. I was fortunate to have the same upon my birth. God placed me in a field where all of my needs were met and exceeded. My earthly father exemplified my heavenly father – ‘Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.’ Ephesians 3:20.

Whether we have experienced a wonderful father or not we all have the opportunity to come to the field of the most wonderful Father in the universe. His field is one of blessings, protection and provision. Boaz made Ruth equal to the harvesters and exempt from being harmed in any way. Some may come to God as a stranger but He exalts everyone to equality with others in the Body of Christ once we accept Him and serve Him. We become sons and daughters of the Head of the family. Our Father implores us to not depart from Him or His will for our protection. He realizes the dangers that reside outside of His will.

Ruth was asking for little – Boaz gave her more. We come to Christ asking for something…He will give us everything. This is called grace – undeserved acceptance and love received from God.

‘…now to Him who is able...

No comments: