Monday, March 28, 2011

Wait Until Your Father Comes Home!

“The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame…Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the LORD God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the LORD God among the trees of the garden.” Gen. 2:25 – 3:8.

When I was young my days were filled with playing outdoors with my sisters and living a carefree life in the country. It was a wonderful life with lots of freedom to run, explore and generally have a great time. I could tell when it was getting close to dinner as the day would begin getting a little cooler. Suddenly, my dad’s car would appear as he made his way home from work. We would run up to him welcoming him home and telling him about our day. Looking back, I had my own little Garden of Eden.

One day when I had disobeyed my mother, she withheld the punishment until daddy got home causing me to anticipate his arrival much differently. I no longer ran up to his car, but instead, being very aware of my disobedience watched from the window for him. I had sewn together my case to plead in an effort to receive mercy from the court. My disobedience had created a barrier between me and my dad.

Our disobedience to God will also create tension and barriers in our intimate relationship with Him. We will try to run from Him, hide from Him, or sew together justification for our actions to Him. We will no longer enjoy ‘walking through the garden in the cool of the day’ with Him. Instead we will limit our time of fellowship with Him because of our awareness of disobedience to Him. We will experience Him 'from the window instead of running up towards Him.'

God knows that man fell from grace that dreadful day in the Garden. He knows that we are unable to be sinless and save ourselves. That is why God sent Christ to do the work for us. He came to earth and became flesh so that He could take the place for us to have eternal life. ‘The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.’ Gen. 3:21. The LORD God made a garment of skin for Christ who through His life, death and resurrection has clothed us with eternal life.

Don't miss out on 'walking through the garden in the cool of the day.' He is waiting...

No comments: