Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Lord's Declaration

“‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt…you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. I will satisfy…and my people will be filled with my bounty,’ declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 31:3-4, 13-14.

Today is the day that the LORD has made! It is the one year anniversary of my dad’s homegoing. There is no sadness today for me as I celebrate all that is His for eternity. Being human, however, is what we do best and being God is what He does best! Leading up to today I can’t say the same about my sadness. On Sunday I attended a funeral that ended up being in the chapel on the grounds where my dad was buried. Since discovering the location of the funeral I had been dreading attending and facing the fresh pain of my friend as she lost her dad. On Saturday I decided that after the funeral I would spend a few moments at Daddy’s gravesite. By the time Sunday arrived, I was saddened and raw in my emotions and barely made it through church. When Bruce asked if I would spend time by my dad’s grave I curtly responded, ‘No.’ I left for the funeral allowing just enough drive time to get there within five minutes of it’s beginning. The Lord had other plans….

I have lived in Charlotte most of my life and never have I reached Sharon Memorial Gardens in less than 35 minutes…I made it in 25 minutes on this day. With ten minutes to spare I was ‘drawn’ to go and sit at my dad’s gravesite. I was expecting this to be like in the movies where I lovingly and thoughtfully glanced down sharing the deepest part of my heart. Instead I felt awkward and detached, however I proceeded telling Daddy how much I love him and have missed him. That took all of 5 seconds at which point my eyes scanned over to the right of the headstone. It shows Mother’s name and date of birth with the dash following. I immediately starting praising God for the empty date and the fact I have my mother on this earth. That praise was followed up with my gratitude of all of the blessings I have in my life – past, present and future. This went on for 10 minutes straight until I realized how big the smile was on my face.

I came detached…He drew me in.
I came torn down…He built me up.
I came with no music…He sang over me.
I came with grief…He replaced it with gladness that I came.
I came with sorrow…I left dancing with joy.

Because of His everlasting love for me I was filled with His bounty. No matter what you are facing this morning, the love that God so freely declares to extend for me is also yours in full.

No comments: