Monday, May 30, 2011

Ask, Watch and Expect!

I am sure of this, that he who started a good work in you will carry it to completion until the day of Jesus Christ.” Phil. 1:6. It is God who is working in you, enabling you both to will and to act for His good purpose.” Phil. 2:13

As Christians we spend our lives waiting on God in many different situations. While we wait our need or desire becomes highlighted in our thoughts. It is easy to become obsessed over an unmet need or desire instead of thankful for a realized dream or blessing.

For me personally, I am in the waiting mode for God to reveal the manner in which He has called me to minister. A few years ago He gave me glimpses into a homeless women’s ministry at the Salvation Army. It was during my sister’s illness which required all of my time. It is difficult to know if I missed that opportunity at that time or God was giving me a glimpse into my promised land in the Kingdom. Either way I was recently given another glimpse of the same ministry and am determined to recognize God’s activity surrounding this impression from Him. So I wait with anticipation that He will move or move me.

My Bible Study speaks of living with an unmet need or desire as we wait upon God. It states, ‘The difficulty in waiting rises in proportion to the strength of your need or desire. When God delays in fulfilling a need or desire, you will be tempted to take matters into your own hands. Therefore, to wait on God, you must learn to live with an unmet need or an unfulfilled desire.’ By Faith, p. 110. It goes on to exhort one fundamental quality required in allowing God to lead which was an important lesson my grandmother taught me – expectancy.

Once God has shown us His will, we don’t have to wonder if it will come to pass. We can enjoy the thought of His future fulfillment in our present wait. Until God fulfills what He promises we can continue to ask for clarity and the specifics. He desires for us to rely on Him step by step. Anything we do on earth requires our consideration for the details and specifics to bring it to pass. How much more important is our consideration for the spiritual things?

Ask according to His will, watch for God’s activity and be joyful in expectation!

No comments: