Thursday, May 5, 2011

Please Set Aside

“He must become greater; I must become less.” John 3:30

These were the words spoken by John the Baptist as he prepared to step aside when Jesus came on the scene. John was sent by God as a forerunner for Christ prophesying His coming for the redemption of mankind. John had developed quite a following for Christ and thankfully for our sake faded into the landscape of his time. Well aware of his preordained role, his job was to point to Christ.

Yesterday as I was preparing for Griefshare there was a sense of dread in my spirit. Our session the week before had been brutal as everyone’s emotions were so raw and feeding upon each other. I had been thrown off kilter the entire week by this, and felt extremely ineffective and insecure about any help I could offer. Bruce prayed for me prior to our session and during our session. I came to the session depleted of wisdom and empty of myself. Unintentinally and unknowingly this gave way to a clear highway for the Holy Spirit to accomplish His best work – when we step aside and let God be God.

The amazing flow of the Holy Spirit was in that room last night and everyone could feel the flow and channel of love, healing and hope. I am convinced that because I was in a decreased state (empty of my own ideas, thoughts and agenda) the Holy Spirit was in His increased state. I believe this is the experience in which John was speaking.

We must decrease ourselves in order for the Spirit to increase in showing us the mind and character of Christ. We must come empty of ourselves so we may be filled with the Spirit of God to do the work of the kingdom. We must live, move and walk within the Spirit and allow God to use our mouths, hands and feet to accomplish His will to a lost and dying world.

No comments: