Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Spot on the Wall

“Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus… He was faithful to the one who appointed him.” Hebrews 13:1-2. “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you as an example, that you should follow in his steps.” 1 Peter 2:21

The summer between my eighth and ninth grade I worked at a church camp called Bonclarken. I was employed to be a waitress in the hotel cafeteria which was something I had never experienced. One of the most valuable pieces of instruction I received was to fix my eyes on a certain spot when I was carrying drinks on a tray. I developed this aspect of my job through the practice of walking while keeping my eyes focused on a spot on the wall. Whenever I would look down at the tray the liquid in the glasses would shift and sway causing spillage. When I would regain my spot on the wall the liquid became still.

Setting our focus on God was the discipline in which Jesus walked on earth. Jesus lived his life constantly viewing His world with His eyes focused on His Father. His world was anything but peaceful, yet He maintained peace. His world was anything but loving, yet He demonstrated love. His world was anything but fair, yet He was just. His ability to be all of these things and more was because of His focus on and fellowship with God. He walked with God’s purpose and will and maintained a God-centered focus while on earth. In all things, He fixed His eyes on God.

We have been called to live a life like Jesus so that we may display His character, His work and His purposes. Christ didn’t suffer for us for the message to get lost. We each have a responsibility to carry the message to a lost and hurting world. When we share in the transforming of our minds and hearts we share in the work of the Kingdom, thereby becoming eternally significant. ‘The inner work that God does in your mind will find expression outwardly in the ways you live your life.’ Mind of Christ, p. 29.

‘Our destiny is to be like Christ. God intends it. He has commanded it, and the Scriptures call on us to participate in the process of becoming like Him.’ Mind of Christ, p. 26.

No comments: