Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chasing Ghosts

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross…Consider him who endured…so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12:2-3

One of the most sought after emotion is joy. Joy is that illusive emotion that we all desire but do not quite understand how to attain – it is like chasing ghosts. Jesus makes it very clear while in his human body how to obtain true joy which brings about constant peace. Hebrews lays before us our example, Jesus Christ, who we are to consider (focus on) in obtaining our joy and peace. My NIV Study Bible states ‘the One who went ahead of all believers in their faith and led on to its definitive goal, hence the perfect embodiment of faith and the supreme model for faith.’ p. 1910.

Jesus stated, ‘As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.’ John 9 – 11. Jesus makes it very clear: Only through our obedience to God’s word will we reside in God’s love through Christ. Once we are walking in obedience we come in for the blessing of His love. Christ is the intermediary that is the Bridge between the Father and His children. Once we are receiving the love of Christ the flow of God’s joy and peace are transferred through Christ. Notice that none of this process involves our circumstances.

Obedience and love go together to complete our faith. Without one of these our joy will be incomplete. Joy is neither attached to our circumstances nor our seasons. For joy to be complete and do its work (testify to our faith in all seasons) it must be attached to the love of Christ. Christ walked in the shadow of the cross every day but walked with the joy of His Father within Him. God’s joy and peace was His walking stick and obedience was His path.

‘I have told you these things so that in me you will have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.’ John 16:33. ‘Like all emotions, joy is under the control of the temperate person….It is a constant experience that comes from your inner being. It is the joy of Christ in you.’ The Mind of Christ, p. 95.

So take Christ and take heart!

No comments: