Saturday, June 4, 2011

These Childish Things

“When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became…I put childish things behind me.” 1 Co. 13:11. “…I do nothing on my own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught me.” John 8:28

When I was a teenager and even into my adulthood it seems that with whomever I surrounded myself I took on their attitudes and behavior – a very dangerous practice in the life of a Christian. Satan knows what lures and baits both heart and mind in each of us and masquerades in the attitudes and behaviors of people with whom we come in contact. We will reflect the attitudes and behavior of those whom we wish to emulate.

Christ knew all about this danger and the importance of being single-minded in His devotion to His Father and sensitive in His responsiveness which are two more characteristics in having the mind of Christ. When we are spiritually immature we act like children imitating the attitudes of the world. Through our spiritual maturity we put these worldly patterns of thinking and acting behind us. To have the mind of Christ we must be single-minded in our love, pursuit and devotion to God. ‘Single-mindedness is an act of the mind. The single-minded Christian pays attention to Christ, His commands, His Person and His ways. Your mind must be preoccupied with sincere and pure devotion to Christ. Single-mindedness is the discipline of attention. You can direct or control your attention with a focus on Christ and His kingdom.’ The Mind of Christ, p. 15.

Our responsiveness to Christ in our lives is another essential characteristic in obtaining the mind of Christ. When God sees our intent and devotion to Him, He will increase our spiritual knowledge of Him and His workings. ‘He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.’ Luke 24:45. We must posture ourselves to see where He is working, to hear what He is saying and to respond to His initiatives. Responsiveness to God is indispensable for progress in our spiritual lives if we are to operate with the mind of Christ. Through our daily meditation on His word and our approach of intimacy through prayer, we can develop the responsiveness and sensitivity required for His guidance and revelations. ‘God wants you to understand His word, but you cannot understand it if you do not spend time in it. Prayer also sensitizes your spirit.' The Mind of Christ, p. 17

Let us put behind us these childish things

No comments: