Monday, May 28, 2012

Sly as a Fox

Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in faith…” 1 Peter 5:8.

The other day I glanced out of the window only to discover this emaciated fox lingering around my front walkway.  In addition to being skinny he had lost most of his hair, not to mention the fact that he was walking around in broad daylight.  I knew not to go outside because this fox was most likely rabid and dangerous for me to be around.  My husband told me to call animal control and order a trap to be set.

This morning I couldn’t help but to draw analogies between the devil and this sick fox.  I came up with some simple but essential truths regarding our protection from Satan.  First and foremost, like the fox, we must acknowledge that he is out there lingering in our lives.  Secondly, we must understand that he is dangerous and looking for ways to harm us.  Thirdly, we must take steps to protect ourselves by keeping our distance, and getting in the Word to trap him in his own traps.  Lastly, we can take confidence that we are placing our spiritual health in the hands of God.

The devil can present himself in the darkness of the subtleties or in broad daylight.  Either way, if we are protecting ourselves with the Word of God we can be assured that we are safe.  Satan only gets the power that we wield to him.  He cannot gain our souls once we are a child of God but he can steal our peace and joy.

So, be self-controlled and alert…

No comments: