Friday, September 28, 2012

Magic 8 Balls


“In the twelfth year of King Xerxes…they cast the pur…to select a day and month. And the lot fell…” Esther 3:7.

‘Pur is the Babylonian word for dice-shaped clay cubes inscribed with prayers for good luck rather than dots. These specially marked stones and sticks were placed in a jar or the fold of a garment and shaken until one fell out, indicating the ‘divinely approved’ answer to the question being posed.’ Esther – It’s Tough Being a Woman, p. 66.

When I was a little girl I loved the Magic 8 ball. The thought was thrilling of having some unknown power give me answers to my important questions. The best part is that I could keep shaking that thing until it matched my preconceived desire. Would he like me – most definitely yes. Would Mother and Daddy let me go - probably not. Oops, I would shake it again! Fast forward 20 years and you could find me asking anybody what I should do about any certain decision. I would not seek out godly counsel but ask whomever I was close to at that moment. If I didn’t like their answer, I would shake the Magic 8 Ball asking another person until I found the answer I wanted. It seems as if the original Magic 8 Ball was in the hands of the Persians. It was just as ridiculous back then as it is today to think that important answers would be given through sticks, stones and Magic 8 Balls.

When we live our lives seeking our own answers in our own way we will fall into the hands of Satan. He loves to tell us what we want to hear and give us credit for the answer. He confirms our flesh agendas and entices us to be in charge of our own decisions. God is crystal clear as far as seeking answers through Him. The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD’ Proverbs 16:33.

We must use the Word as our direction when seeking answers to our questions. God alone will reveal the correct answer the more intimate we become with Him. He desires our pursuit of His thoughts on the little things just as the big things. In order for us to get the ‘divinely approved’ guidance to our decisions we must shake up His word to obtain the revelation from Him.

No comments: