Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Middle Man

Esther also was taken to the king’s palace and entrusted to Hegai, who had charge of the haremImmediately he provided her with her beauty treatments and special food.” Esther 2:8-9.

So the Bachelor show continues in the palace, but with a twist.  The king’s eunuch is put in charge of deciding who is chosen to be presented to the king.  My dictionary gives quite a disturbing definition of a eunuch.  Apparently, eunuchs were castrated men who were employed to be in charge of the harem within the king’s palace.  Oddly enough, the Greek translation for eunuch is ‘keeper of the bed.’ In this instance, the approval of the eunuch guaranteed the hopeful hearts time before the king.  The girls spent an entire year having intense beauty treatments in an effort to catch the eye of the eunuch, the middle man.  All of their attention was spent on seeking the approval of the man lower than the king.

Personally speaking, I have spent my life seeking the approval of others, paying attention to the details guaranteeing that I am accepted, chosen and loved.  My beauty treatments entailed doing for others in an attempt to gain their recognition.  The special food I digested was flesh nourishment opposed to the Bread of Life.  It humbles my heart that my King stood up almost seven years ago, personally approaching me with new beauty treatments, and provided me with a better menu of special foods.  He tenderly lavished me with oils of the Holy Spirit and clothed me with His garments.  He did not enlist a middle man for my makeover but personally attended to my enhancements and nourishment.  My King is our King and He offers the same to all of His children.

‘…just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless…’ Eph. 5:25-27.

By the way of the cross, Jesus did the work for our spiritual makeovers for the King.  He was the middle Man – the man who hung in the middle of the cross for our righteousness and salvation.  We never have to look any further than the cross for our beauty treatments.

 

No comments: