Thursday, September 6, 2012

Self Made Thrones

The garden had hangings of white and blue linens, fastened …to silver rings on marble pillars” Esther 1:6.

This is a portion taken from the Book of Esther describing the seven-day feast that King Xerxes threw in one of his gardens.  This party followed a 180 day display of wealth for the Who’s Who at that time.  His obnoxious show and tell period of time was to advance his own splendor and glory in his self-made kingdom.  According to Hebrew beliefs, the marble pillars in verse 6 had been removed from Solomon’s temple in Jerusalem and carried off by Nebuchadnezzar as part of the spoils…King Xerxes threw a party to display his own…Xerxes didn’t earn an ounce of this…He inherited it.’ Esther – It’s Tough Being a Woman.

In an atmosphere of the upcoming election, I feel that we are experiencing our own version of this story.  We have candidates who are exalting themselves instead of exalting God.  In an effort to show their own glory and splendor, God seems to be missing on their lips and absent from their hearts.  They have taken the things of God, just like Xerxes, and have fit them into their own self-made kingdoms, using them inappropriately and claiming credit for what God has accomplished in their lives.  I have no heard either serious candidate profess with their tongue that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior.

It is only fair to drill down into my own life when reading this verse.  There are things in my past that I have attempted to ‘borrow’ from God and claim as my own…show and tell for anyone who will hear, just as our obnoxious king.  I have hung my own linens with my own colors of pride, ego and boasts on the pillars that belong to the King of another kingdom.  I am so grateful that God refused to leave me in my feeble attempt at glory.  He will never share the limelight with us, but will transform us to have the reflection of His central light.  Everything belongs to God and nothing belongs to us.  We are His vessels through whom He works and the recipients with whatever we are entrusted at His bequeath. 

‘The most freeing thing we can ever do is to abdicate the throne of our own miniature kingdoms.  Our status is infinitely higher as a servant in God’s kingdom than a ruler in ours.’ Esther – It’s Tough Being a Woman.

No comments: