Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Watched Pot

Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near” James 5:7-8.

There was a time in my family’s life when we lost precious family members three years in a row. These were family members who I helped care for during their final season in life. It was five straight years of directed focus, support and medical attention. There was chemo and radiation, procedures and surgeries, hospitals and a steady stream of caregivers in my home. It was a dizzying three year span at the end, with days crowded with responsibilities and emotional heartbreak. But the Lord carried us through those tough days. Then one day, I awoke to quiet mornings and empty households. The phone no longer rang and texts no longer came. For the next two years I sat here with little to do, unaware of what my life would hold in the future. I waited and watched…prayed and searched…rested and wondered. It has been like watching a pot of water come to a boil. But now, little by little I am seeing bubbles coming from the bottom of the pot. I am feeling the water getting warmer and seeing the steam rising. I am grateful for the patience God gave me over the past couple years. He knew what I would need in this season, and it wasn’t the busyness of last season. It wasn’t the heartbreak and anguishing prayers of years ago. It wasn’t the frantic dash to and from doctors. It was the day to day stride of sunrises and sunsets…walks and talks…gratitude in prayer…being in the moment with sisters and friends…enjoying my husband, my mother, my children and my grandchildren. God is moving me to new places through His nearness and guidance. It's time to put the lid on the pot and let the substance boil!

Are you in a season that demands your patience? What pot are you watching this morning waiting on a boil? God’s perfect plan consistently requires patience mixed with prayer…trust sprinkled with hope… endurance infused with faith. The Bible encourages us again and again that we are blessed when we listen for and wait on God. ‘Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway’ Proverbs 8:34. The Bible tells us that we can’t understand the way God is moving in our season but we can trust Him for it. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts’ Isaiah 55:9. We are told that we will never be left alone or abandoned in our circumstances. ‘The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged’ Deuteronomy 31:8. We are told that Christ has overcome everything in this world and with Him so will we. ‘I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world’ John 16:33.

So when you are tempted to watch your pot boil, leave the kitchen, go outside and walk in God’s creation. Lift prayers of gratitude and find a reason to praise Him. Arrange time with friends and family and truly be in the moment. And before you know it, one day you will see your bubbles forming and steam rising.

No comments: