Friday, August 29, 2014

Duped Again!

But he said, ‘Your brother came deceitfully and took your blessing…’ Esau said…‘this is the second time he has taken advantage of me:  He took my birthright, and now he’s taken my blessing…’Then he asked, ‘Haven’t you reserved any blessing for me?’” Genesis 27:36.

I remember when my daughter was out of control I would look around at my family and friends’ teenagers.  They seemed perfect, happy and whole.  I would watch other parents live their lives not being good role models, and yet their children thrived and succeeded beautifully...smiling on the outside, dying on the insidefeelings of stolen birthrights and lost blessings.

I read this today and looked around to see if anyone saw my face turn red…luckily I was alone.  This story screams the sentiment of our hearts in certain times during our life.  We hope for something… we dream for that outcome…we even plan on it before it ever comes to be.  Then one day something happens and it’s gone…the door is closed…the path is blocked.  We look around at others and see how much their lives are lived in ease.  They don’t make time for church but they seem to be living the good life.  They don’t share their time or money with those in need, yet they continue to get blessed.  Their dreams become realities and their paths are scattered with smooth walks.  Like Esau we feel duped…unrewarded for our honesty and faithfulness.  We cry out to our Father ‘where are my blessings…why is this happening to me…why does she get what I can only dream of?  Our secret thoughts might even be as extreme as Esau’s were, ‘Behold, your brother Esau comforts himself about you by planning to kill you.’ Genesis 27:41.

It can sure feel like God’s bag of blessings for us is empty just like the wizard’s bag for Dorothy.   But thankfully, this is no movie and God is no wizard.  He is the infinite and sovereign Creator whose love never changes…whose blessings never run out…whose deliverance is right on time.  We cannot have our eyes on others and have our eyes on God.  When we are counting the blessings of those around us there aren’t any fingers left to count our own blessings.  God is a just and loving God and can be trusted just as much on this side of Heaven as the other.

No comments: