Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Seeing Ghosts

“‘Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds?’ They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. ‘Look…it is I myself!’” Luke 24:37.

When I was a little girl each of us had our own bedroom upstairs. I started off in a back bedroom but eventually switched rooms with my baby sister. My sister Beth and I had rooms on the front of the house, both having a door leading to an adjoining balcony. For some reason, after I moved to the front bedroom I felt uneasy and scared at night. There was something about having a door leading outside near my bed. One night after I had fallen asleep my balcony door flew open with Beth entering wrapped in a sheet. She was making some unidentifiable noise which woke me up and scared me to death! It took a minute but I finally realized that she was sleepwalking. I was so angry at her even though she didn’t know what she was doing. Of course, we all laughed about it the next morning.

The disciples had fears and doubts of their own after their friend and mentor was murdered. They had heard rumblings that maybe Jesus had been raised from the dead. They heard the rumors from their own people, but it was easier is believe the worse than dream for the best. The women in their own group returned from the tomb proclaiming that Jesus had risen according to God’s messengers. Simon reported that he had personally seen Jesus. The two on the road to Emmaus reported that they had been with Jesus that very day. Sights and confirmations were given to the eleven, but still they doubted…still they despaired…still they didn’t recognize the risen Savior. But faithfully, Jesus approached them and revealed Himself in their doubting hearts.

Many times in life we face situations that scare us to death. We see things looming that overwhelm us with doubt and anxiety. We awake each morning seeing the ghosts of our future. Will our rebellious child ever come home? Will I ever find the love of my life? Will I be able to pay my bills? Will this medical treatment even work? These thoughts are ghosts in sheets making their way into our bedrooms at night, making noises that drown out our hope.

Jesus tells us not to be troubled for He has overcome the worst of circumstances while on this earth (John 14:1). We are to pray that our will not be done but the Father’s agenda take precedence (Matthew 6:10).  We can believe that we will never face any season without the One who creating the seasons (Daniel 2:22).  If we want to quit seeing ghosts then we must move our gaze to Jesus, and trust Him for all of our outcomes. We can have complete confidence that we will never be left alone in our circumstances with those beautiful promises. We have been given a ghost to focus on...to watch for...to move us from fear to faith...the Holy Ghost.

'But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you ' John 14:26.

No comments: