Thursday, November 20, 2014

Excellent and Profitable

“And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves in doing what is good.  These things are excellent and profitable for everyone” Titus 3:8b.

This morning while studying my Bible verses this particular verse stood out as I began considering the word ‘devotion.’  I looked up the word in several different resources to understand the true definition.  I liked Google the best which states that devotion means love, loyalty, or enthusiasm for a person, activity, and/or cause.  When I think of devotion I think of what my parents have for me.  I also am confident in my husband’s devotion to me over the course of 30 years.  I know that I am completely devoted to Bruce, my children, sisters, mother and friends. 

In light of our Scripture this morning, I am reminded that the most important object of our affection and devotion must be not only God, but the concerns of God’s heart.  Our definition states that true devotion is an enthusiasm for a person (God), activity (fellowship with God) and cause (things that break His heart).  We have a worldly menu of causes, and there is great work to be done.  Those who trust in God, that is you and me as Christians are instructed that we are to be devoted to Him, the fellowship, and the service.  The excellence of eternity must be offered to everyone for it is the will of God that no one perishes and everyone profits (2 Peter 3:9).

So what in the world does ‘doing good’ look like?  Doing good is having our behavior follow our thoughts and mindset.  That is why there is so much importance on feeding our minds with God’s word. Philippians 4:8 states, ‘Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.’  Once our minds are fed with the appetite of God our hearts will follow as we devote our time in worship, our resources in causes, and our service to accomplish the things of God.

No comments: