Tuesday, November 11, 2014

His Yes Means Yes

But surely as God is faithful…For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘Yes’ in Christ.  And so through him the ‘Amen’ is spoken by us to the glory of God.  Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ” 2 Co 1:18, 20-21.

The words I promise are two little words that carry paramount implications.  I promise to love you through the good and the bad times…I promise that I will never leave you…I promise that I’ll never do that again…I promise I won’t repeat a word…I promise Lord that if you _________, I will _____________.  I have broken promises over the course of my life…promises of honesty, promises to never hide my spending again, a promise of a marriage 35 years ago.

Thankfully, we have a Father who will never break His promises to His children no matter if we break ours. How many times have we promised to pray more…fellowship with God more…get in His word more only to end the day with little contact with Him?  The wonderful thing about God’s promises is that they are not based on our commitment to follow through with our promises.  We might have consequences from not following through but if God promises something, He will be faithful.  His promises will always be Yes in Christ because of what Christ did for us.  God says ‘Yes’ to eternity because of what Christ did on the cross.  God says ‘Yes’ to providing for us because Christ’s sacrifice made us adoptive children.  God says ‘Yes’ to never leaving us because Christ was briefly separated from God so we will never be.  We can believe in the promises of God when He tells us something even if our eyes do not see it.  I have a promise from God tucked tenderly in my heart and I thank Him daily for that future fulfillment.  The miracle is not in the fulfilled promise but in the peace while walking to receive it.

We must stand firm in Christ and the work He accomplished on the cross.  If we confidently believe in the promises of God then our words will be He will instead of will HeAnd all of us say 'Amen!'

No comments: