Monday, November 17, 2014

The Lord Establishes

The LORD declares to you that the LORD himself will establish a house…He is the one who will build...and establish” 2 Sam 7:11b, 13.

David’s heart was in the right place when he told Nathan, the prophet that he wished to build a house for the Lord.  He himself was nicely positioned in his own palace which God had given him as king.  David was probably bored as he looked around the palace wondering what his next project was.  The Lord spoke quickly and sternly.  I will provide a place…I will assign that job…I have set boundaries around the work of your hands, David’ (paraphrase mine).

We must seek God for His assignments in our lives and throughout our days.  We can strive and toil in areas we were never meant to work.  We can stumble through activities that busy and distract us from His purpose and plan.  I was blessed this morning to consider these in my Bible Study, A Woman’s Heart, Gods Dwelling Place.  Isaiah 30:21 promises us that He will speak and reveal every decision we need to make. ‘Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.’ Isaiah 42:16 promises that He will lead us in unfamiliar circumstances, reveal and smooth out the obstacles.  ‘I will lead…by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will…make the rough places smooth.’ These are just two of the unending promises of the Lord when we walk with Him, and allow Him to determine our work. 

We must allow God the freedom to assign our work, and then listen for His voice to navigate us through the days to accomplish what He set out for us to accomplish.  Sometimes we will be the one who will ‘build Him a house’ and other times we will not be chosen for that work.  Our part is to inquire of the Lord, wait for His voice and follow His lead.  His ways will usher in a greater work in the kingdom while giving us a greater life while on this earth.

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways…so is my word that goes out from my mouth:  It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it’ Isaiah 55:9, 11.

No comments: