Wednesday, November 19, 2014

When Love Saves


“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” John 3:16.

I once read that true love is love that always benefits another.  It had such a powerful message to me that I wrote it in the front of my Bible.  I just realized this morning how that statement is the basis for the entire word of God.  This verse anchors the basis of Christianity, yet because of its familiarity it is easy to lose its powerful message.  God loved you and me in a way that we cannot fathom…a love that motivated Him to sacrifice His little boy on a tree…a love that had to look away from His child as He was dying so my children could live…a love that would benefit every person who believes in this act of agape love.

What if someone asked us to look away as our child was being brutally murdered?  What if someone asked us to allow the death of our child to serve as a substitute to save unknown children?  That is what God did for you and did for me.   The blood of His own Son continues to save today as it saved when it flowed.  The Bible states that through His blood we are made clean, and by His stripes we are healed (Isaiah 53:5).  That is love…God’s love…and the work has been done for not only us but our children, grandchildren and future generations.  This morning in considering this fresh truth I am amazed that I ever doubt…that I ever question…that I ever am anxious about anything. 

Through His love and Christ’s sacrifice we are saved so why don’t we believe the same blood has the power to deliver us… deliver us from our present circumstances…deliver us from the fear of our future… deliver us from the guilt of our past sins.  We can have both hope and confidence that the power that saved is the same power that delivers.  When your circumstances become a source of oppression just get on your knees and cry out to God for deliverance.

Father, I believe that the same blood that saved me will deliver me from _____________...in the name of Jesus, Amen!’

No comments: