Friday, September 8, 2017

A Little Gift Turned Big


But Peter said, ‘I don’t have silver or gold, but what I do have, I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth’…Then, by taking him by the right hand he raised him up …So they were filled with awe and astonishment at what had happened…” Acts 3:6-10.

It had been a rough month, one that I pray will never be repeated. I was worn out emotionally, spiritually and physically. I was at the coast taking my morning walk and ended up where I normally sit and pray. It is a bench on the second level at the end of the pier overlooking the ocean. I always accompany my walk with prayer music, and I’m sure I bring new meaning to ‘making a joyful noise’. This day in particular, I was on the bench, singing to the music and opened my eyes to find a homeless man sitting on the ground a little to my right. He began talking to me and eventually asked if he could pray for me. I’m embarrassed to admit that I felt uncomfortable…untrusting…undone. I quickly asked the Lord to give me grace and peace. I stood and accepted his offer. As if that wasn’t enough awkwardness he asked if he could hold my hand during the prayer but quickly gave me an out if I didn’t feel comfortable. I also accepted his gesture and he began to pray. The prayer that he lifted had such detail that perfectly applied to my circumstances. I knew that what he was giving me was directly from God. He continued in this prayer with one of the most beautiful prayers I had ever heard. The peace that fell over me and stayed with me that day was God’s gift through this homeless man. He had nothing to give yet he gave me everything that day. I read a while back that ‘A little gift in the hands of a big God can impact the world’ (Lysa TerKeurst). On that day, he gave what he probably thought was just a little gift…a prayer. But when he chose to bring God into the equation my entire world was impacted…I was lifted higher than my circumstances…it was a day that was enveloped in peace…it’s a day that I still experience awe and astonishment when I think upon it.

The majority of people don’t want our money, they want our respect. They want the dignity of being seen important enough for our attention. They want to be visible instead of invisible. Some need a kind smile…some need a kind gesture…everyone needs fresh hope...some need us to be courageous and pray with them, not just for them. We don’t have to look far to give little or give big with the disasters that seem to be coming back to back. We can barely catch our breath from one hurricane to a flood…from a flood to another hurricane…earthquakes to landslides…out of control fires. These are real people who have real needs and an opportunity for God’s children to reach out and actively console a hurting world.

I want suffering people to stand in awe at God’s accomplishments through the hands of His children. I want unkind and selfish people to see something different in the way we engage with them. I want people to see Jesus through our actions, and not just our words. I want all of us to engage in the suffering of another, and allow God to infuse His power to impact their world like the homeless man impacted mine that day last year.

If we all take just a little time to do for each other, God will show up and show up big. He doesn't need us to enhance His power, but He does choose and involve us to be a part of His glory. And when we partner with Him everyone wins! We may never know the impact our littles gift will have on others but God sees every act of kindness on our part.

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" Matthew 25:40



No comments: