Tuesday, September 19, 2017

God's Perfect Memory

Is Ephraim my dear son? Is he a darling child…I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him," says the LORD.” Jeremiah 31:20

I'm going to begin by just saying that Kristen, Michael and Caroline are dear and darling to me! They have grown into awesome adults with hearts of gold. (No bias there!) When they were very young I learned early as a mother that there is nothing sweeter than the affirmation of love between a parent and a child. Even though they are now adults with lives busier than they should be, and life tougher than it ought to be our times together are just as special as in their childhood. When I think of them I think of ways that I can bless their lives. I remember those things that bring them joy, and still try to incorporate that joy in adult ways. There are still times when they need their mother’s touch and encouragement…their dad’s wisdom and humor. When they reach out it strikes that tender parental spot in my heart that takes me back to sweet and gentle times. I love the ‘do you remember when’ stories that offer laughter, love and fellowship. Some are precious and some are heartbreaking but they all involve trust, love, and promise.

Like my children are to me, we are to God as He parents us. We reminisce with Him about how He acted on our behalf in ‘that’ season. We thank Him with deep gratitude for getting us through ‘this’ season. We come to Him with our unanswered prayers in hopes of getting that gentle touch…those encouraging words…His wise advice… that joyful peace. More times than not, in the Bible when Scripture says ‘God remembers’ it doesn’t mean that He forgot. It usually is a precursor to God’s movement in that situation. God never forgets His plans for His children, and yearns to move in our circumstances, hurts and dreams. We are darling to Him, and so dear to His heart.

He hasn’t forgotten the couple who longs for a child. He remembers the prayers for employment and the purpose it will bring. He hasn’t forgotten how to reconcile marriages and bring home wayward children. He remembers how to cure cancer, and relieve the pain of medical challenges. He hasn’t forgotten that our hearts are grieving for our loved ones. He remembers how desperate we are for that relationship to come along. He has a perfect and beautiful plan for all of us, and longs to give us what makes our heart sing. He knows when we are ready to receive that blessing, and what needs to be arranged in our circumstances before He can give it to us. He hasn’t forgotten you or your circumstances, and has you constantly on His mind and in His heart. He states it over and over again in His word if we will just spend some time with Him. He is always there waiting for time with His dear children.

For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” Jeremiah 29:11.

Then they arose early in the morning and worshiped before the LORD…and the LORD remembered her.” 1 Samuel 1:19.

“…and I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you” Genesis 9:15.

No comments: