Friday, September 1, 2017

Standing at the Bus Stop


Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me. Your right hand will hold me fast.” Psalm 139:7-10.
The other day as I was walking, I came upon a family who was standing at the bus stop with their little one. Remembering that it was the first week of school, I reminisced in my mind about when my little ones were preparing for school. I saw the parents tenderly holding the little boy’s hand, and talking to him. As the bus arrived, they watched him step up with his little feet into the large vehicle. They stood until they could see his face in the window, and waved as the bus pulled away. As I approached them I saw them standing there in discussion. What were they saying I wondered? Were they discussing the fears their child had that morning? Were they talking about how pleased they were that he left trusting that how they had prepared him? Were they in deep conversation about the plans they had for him when they were together again later that day? My mind shifted to the little boy on the big yellow bus. Were anxieties raised as he considered his day and the unknowns that surrounding him? Did he sit in gratitude that his parents walked him all the way to the bus? Did he sit in excitement for what he would experience in that new season? Was he counting the moments when he would be reunited with his parents? Would he have enough money for lunch? Would people accept him and invite him to eat with them?
We all have a Father who walks us wherever we must go. He has directed where we live, and with whom we belong. We have the Trinity who discusses where we have been and what we have done. They look upon our lives and know the plans they have for us…good plans…prosperous plans…hopeful plans. They never leave us, even if we temporarily depart them. They are always there when we return after a time of wandering. The Bible makes it clear that Christ sits beside God intervening for us. “Christ Jesus who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us” Romans 8:34. We are also told that the Holy Spirit discusses us with God in ways we cannot hear. “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans” Romans 8:26. Just like the little boy’s parents, they discuss our fears, anxieties, their plans for us for that day and every day. We have anxieties just like that little one. Will our money hold out? Will we be accepted? Will we have work that day? Have we strayed from God and will He leave us?

I will forever remember that image at the bus stop…the heart of a parent tenderly and lovingly being with his child and for his child. That is our beautiful Trinity that we are privileged to carry within us. When my worries rise, I will recall this snapshot in my mind to remind me...assure me...encourage me. No matter where our bus is taking us, we are never alone.

No comments: