Thursday, January 11, 2018

All in the Family

For wherever there is one who has been obedient to God, there is my brother--my sister..." Mark 3:35

Growing up as one of four girls had its challenges when trying to be your own personality. For my parents I am sure that life was hectic, and the responsibilities were enumerable. I fall into the second position of the birth order which also had its challenges. Becki, my older sister has always been very responsible and chose well in her decisions most of the time. Beth, my younger sister was the tomboy of the family, so Daddy got his ‘son.’ Benay, as the baby of the family, was carted around by all of us like a baby doll. I remember the first day of middle school when we got our assignments. I was assigned to a teacher to whom Becki had been assigned. The teacher was thrilled when she discovered I was her sister. It didn’t take many days before I heard those dreaded words… ‘You are nothing like your sister.’ I knew exactly what that meant. It meant that my actions were not living up to her expectations. It meant I was being silly when silly wasn’t on her agenda for the day. It meant I was talking over the one who should be talking over me. It meant my older sibling was a better example of how to be…how to act…how to navigate. I used to think the teachers were less than loving when they would say this. But looking back I know that they just wanted me to be the best version of myself…to live up to my potential…to grow and mature into a responsible adult.

We also have a beautiful older Brother who went before us in life. He faced many of the same problems we do, no doubt. He made perfect decisions every time. He too had siblings, a few who thought He was crazy once His ministry was in full force. But Jesus walked to the tune of heaven, not earth. He walked out the will of His Father, and because we follow Him we gain the full benefits that we would never be worthy enough to claim without His life. Considering the comparison, I know that God has given each of us a snapshot of Christ. The Teacher isn’t saying, ‘You are nothing like your Brother’ out of frustration or condemnation. Rather, God is saying that to know Him is to understand the walk of His Son. To please God is to transform our hearts into the heart of our Brother. God loved us enough to send His only child down into a cruel world to usher us up into a perfect kingdom.

As believers we have access to a large family, some on earth and some in Heaven. Christ did the work on the cross for us, and as we grow spiritually we develop attitudes like our Brother. I’m so grateful that God doesn’t have favorites, but He does give us a picture in Christ of how to be the best version of ourselves…our God-created version. Let us take our place in the family, and hold each other’s hands as we all mature in Christ.

No comments: