Thursday, January 18, 2018

Traveling Abroad

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139:16

When my son Michael was 14 he was invited to travel to many countries through a program called People to People. We spent about 6 months prior to the trip going to meetings, shopping for needed items, discussing challenges that might arise, and raising money for the trip. The day came when we had to separate for Michael to travel abroad. He was to be gone for 3 weeks, visiting many countries. He was to keep a daily journal of everything that he experienced, and document with pictures. Back then, there wasn’t the convenience of an international cell phone. There were phone cards that could be purchased before the trip, with pins to enter from a landline. Communication was sparse to say the least during his time abroad. For both of us each day seemed like weeks, and we both anticipated our reunion. I couldn’t wait to hear about his daily experiences. The calendar finally turned, and the day had come for us to be reunited. It was such a wonderful day and we both teared up when we saw each other. I made his favorite meal upon his return, and had balloons and flowers at home in the foyer. I knew what day he left, and I knew what day he would return. The reunion was as beautiful as I had anticipated. There is nothing like a parent and child reunion!

When God formed and created us, a calendar of entry and departure was also set in place. He made special preparations for each of us in planning for our trip abroad…our earthly temporal home. He was thoughtful in what family He placed us, and was loving in what part of world He planted us. Although communication while ‘abroad’ is sparse He sees us every minute of the day. Nothing filters into our lives without filtering through His hands. He knows the exact time and day we will come home, and prepares for our return. The vessel that brings us home might be tough or it might be peaceful, but the entry will be perfect. While we sit on this side experiencing pain and grief when our loved ones depart, they are welcomed in great celebration on the other side. We each have a day when the calendar turns, and our Father motions us home. Great preparations will have been made…flowers and balloons will be in the grand entrance...our favorite heavenly fare will be spread out on the family table…the most beautiful music every heard will echo through the garden…the most amazing views ever seen from anywhere in heaven. We won’t even remember how we got home, we will just know that we are finally there. We are just so glad to be back with our Father in His home, because living abroad never quite felt like home…and it was never meant to.

With so much sickness, sin and death on this temporal place I have gotten so much comfort from the fact that every single day was predetermined on my life’s calendar. No doctor, no treatment, no medicine can save when the Father calls us home. I know that even now He is up there preparing my favorite things. Even now, He is creating my spiritual covering and setting up my eternal home. He is the Parent of Perfection and we will all be amazed at our reunion.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.” John 14:1-3.



No comments: