Thursday, January 4, 2018

Hilltops of Heaven

Therefore He is able to save completely those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to intercede for them.Hebrews 7:25.

When the kids were young their ages ranged between an 8-year span from oldest to youngest.  There were different things going on both individually for them, and collectively for the family.  There were times when different challenges arose that required us as parents to discuss decisions and the timing on things.  We loved going to Long Cove which was a lake-front pool club to which we belonged from the time I was pregnant with Michael.  On that property was a beautiful hill that overlooked Lake Wylie.  We would go there, spread a blanket and talk about the things that effected our family.  Bruce and I would sit side by side discussing the next step in this or that.  Our dreams for our children were considered, along with consequences we had to lay out to redirect them when they erred in judgement.  Sometimes we disagreed, many times we compromised and most times we became unified on a decision regardless of who ‘won.’  The basic motivation from both standpoints was love and concern that our decisions would work to their good, both individually and collectively for the family.

As I ponder these beautiful memories in my heart this morning, I can just picture Christ and God sitting side by side on that beautiful hill overlooking the lake.  I can just hear my name being raised, as they discuss what is best for me, and what is best for my family.  I can imagine that together they are making decisions that will benefit the whole family, instead of just my desires.  I’ll bet they spend hours talking about their concerns for me and my family…consequences that arise from our decisions…unfulfilled desires that in due time will become our reality in fullness.  It blesses me to know that each of my children’s names are being spoken from the mouth of the Father and Son.  Why should I ever worry about them, since the Trinity sits upon that beautiful hill where the sun never goes down, and the storms never keep them from the beautiful hilltop of Heaven.

I pray that you will be blessed to know that they are sitting side by side, discussing every detail of your life.  You are not alone, and your circumstances have already been decided.  It is our job to find the freedom and joy of this earth in Christ, and leave all of the heavy lifting to the Ones who have the real muscle...the power to accomplish.  When we can live in the ebb and flow of life, allowing God to steer the ship we will experience the beauty of the journey. 

This was our view for 30 years as we considered every detail of our children’s lives.  This is my glimpse of heaven on earth where God and Christ discuss our ‘comings and goings.’  When you feel like you have been forgotten, or feel weary from waiting for an answer, may we all picture this beautiful hill where details are spoken over each of our lives.





No comments: