Thursday, January 11, 2018

God's To-Do List

“‘What can we do to perform the works of God?’ they asked. Jesus replied, ‘This is the work of God – that you believe in the one he has sent.’” John 6:26-27.

Well for a girl who loves to check items off her to-do list this passage is not one of my favorites. The people just wanted a list of to-dos to be accepted and favored…what is wrong with that? I love lists so much that I make a list of things to include on my list. I love checking things off so much that if something doesn’t make my list, but I accomplish it anyway I will write it down just to mark it off. I know…I’m a performance junkie and that is why God has given me a life time of things that have yet to get marked off my list…unanswered prayers and an unsettled heart.

Before February of 2006, my spiritual to-do list included serving at church, taking my family to church, tithing when it suited, praying empty repetitive prayers, etc. But once I began studying Scripture and carving out time for prayer in the mornings I realized that what was really required for acceptance and favor was a person, not a to-do item. When all I really wanted was to check something off, God showed me that the only thing required from Him was to believe Him…to believe that Jesus died for me…to believe that every promise God gave will be fulfilled…to believe that the heartbreaking things I have experienced were for my spiritual good. All I wanted to do was perform, and all He wanted from me was to believe Him for everything. It boils down to that for each of us.

We think that if we are good enough, serve enough, pray enough, or memorize Scripture enough that we will work ourselves into His favor. But spiritual check-lists do not bring holiness and certainly not fellowship. There is no easy way to accomplish righteousness but through a life of spiritual decisions we make. The only to-do list that I know is beneficial regarding my relationship with God is anchored in my belief to-do list. And out of that list a new list emerges...the things I need to do to become more Christ-like. My list is my Bible and on its pages, are my items to mark off one day. One item on a page is my belief that God will bring conclusion to 'an item' in due time. Another page boasts of my belief that He forgave me, so I should always forgive others. Hope filled pages of unfulfilled desires that beckon me to put ink to my belief for its fulfillment...I believe God will protect my children and grandchildren. I believe that He will work in the lives of my friends, showing up BIG for them. I believe that He will bring me and Bruce work in 2018. I believe that God is who He says He is, and He will do what He says He will do!

Believing is the work. And that can be hard because we can’t measure belief. We can’t check belief off a to-do list. Belief can’t be seen or praised by those around us. Belief is in our hearts. Only God truly sees what we believe.Finding I Am, Lysa TerKeurst, p. 35. I still make lists for the earthly things, but I hold my days and my accomplishments loosely because I am confident that God intends to direct my plans and my path for each day. Ironically, He has His own to-do list for me, and He will complete what He began the day I was born.

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." Philippians 1:6.

No comments: