Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Mostly Beautiful





"And I remember that some of it wasn't very nice. But most of it was beautiful. But just the same, all I kept saying to everybody was, 'I want to go home.' And they sent me home…And this is my room - and you're all here! And I'm not gonna leave here ever, ever again because I love you all! - there's no place like home. There's no place like home.” Dorothy, Wizard of Oz.

I was reminded of a scene from the Wizard of Oz this morning when Dorothy awakened and was surrounded with everyone who meant anything. She recounted a dream where life was mostly beautiful, but some of life wasn’t very nice. But her joy was complete because she was finally home, and she would never leave again.

A while back I remember a dream as vivid as if it was my reality. I was standing in my foyer when I opened the door to greet someone. First Beth my sister walked in, and I immediately wrapped my arms around her and we fell to the ground. We began rolling around like children, laughing and teasing. I looked up and saw my dad walking in the front door and I jumped to my feet like the floor was on fire. I grabbed and hugged him tightly and began telling him how much I missed him, and how much life stood still when he went away. The love in his eyes and the laughter in his voice told me wherever he had been, was necessary and he was as happy as I was to be together. As I turned around my eyes met the sweet and tender eyes of my Grandmother Miller. I began weeping and thought I would never let go of her. I told her in the dream I believe I had missed her presence most. She was my earthly representation of a person completely hidden in Christ. In the dream she was somewhat surprised that I said that, true to her humble character. When I awoke I laid there and relived that dream over and over in my mind. I rediscovered life with these three people through the connection of a dream.

One day we will all close our eyes to this world, and as we open them up we will rediscover all our loved ones. They will surround us and will give us their full attention as we reconnect with their heavenly bodies. There will be laughter, love and joy as we tell them how much we’ve missed them. We might try to explain the beauty of our lives they missed. We might try to share some of the tough times…heartbreaking times…cruel times. Maybe we will be in mid-sentence when suddenly we turn around and there standing in the door is the One whose presence we have been waiting most to see. Our Father in Heaven…and holy is His name…His will has come…and has been done moving us from earth to Heaven. All else will fade away because we will realize that what we knew in part has now been made fully known to us. We are all together again…forever and ever…and Dorothy is right…there’s no place like home!

"Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely." 1 Co 13:12



No comments: