Friday, March 16, 2018

The Voice of Legacy

A few years ago, I was with my mother at the doctor’s office. He was going over some things that he thought would be beneficial for her health. He said something that I have never forgotten that really made a huge impact on me. He said to her that what she does in her 80’s will determine how she will experience her 90’s. For some reason that simple truth was echoed in shouts that day. I began examining my own life to see if there were things that didn’t support my overall goal of balanced health. I discovered that I could be healthier in all areas today to better ensure my tomorrows. I determined the more I take time to walk in my 50's the healthier my heart will be in my 60's. I believe that this goes for everything. If I pursue peace in my 50’s my 60’s might be less chaotic. If I get in the habit of choosing grace over bitterness in my 50’s I might be more compassionate in my 60’s. If I seek gratitude for where I am today, with all its gains and losses, I just might experience deeper joy in my tomorrows. What does all of this end up looking like? It’s called legacy and we don’t even realize we are building one until we are gone. Our actions speak the unfolding story of our hearts, and once we no longer have a voice on this earth our legacy will tell our stories.

I was thinking of this when I woke up because today is 8 years that Daddy’s legacy began speaking the story of his life. What a story he had and what a legacy he left. He showed four little girls and one amazing wife what a man of God looked like. He walked out his beliefs and lived a life of complete integrity and loyalty to faith, family and friends. He led a ministry in full-time service without pay for the last 10 years of his life that brought young children who didn't attend church to Christ. I am so grateful that I had a dad who exemplified Christ and gave Him all the glory. Our legacies echo the story when we reach our eternal destination recording one decision after another completing the book. In eternal prospective, I believe that the way we will experience Heaven will be dependent upon the way we served on earth. I’m so grateful that as believers Christ left the ultimate legacy inviting us into His story, connecting us with His sacrifice and rewards.

When our legacy eventually finds it voice what story will it speak? What we do and how we live today will determine how we experience our tomorrows and our forever's.

I am sure of this, that he who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6.


No comments: