Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Beautifully in over my Head

When I was a little girl living with my family in Burlington, we belonged to the Burlington Country Club which consisted of a golf course and a swimming pool. Mother and Daddy would load us up and we would go and spend our Saturday there. I remember that I would be swimming one minute only to be running across the golf course barefoot and drenched the next minute to join Daddy. I’m sure there were many golfers who dreaded seeing the uncommitted little golfer springing across the fairway. My favorite part of the day would be when Daddy finished golfing and would join us in the swimming pool to cool off. My three sisters and I would take turns having Daddy carry us into the deep end of the pool. I would make my way towards the deeper end but as soon as my toes felt the pool bottom slant, I wouldn’t go any further. The water would be up to my chin and I knew the rule was to stay on the other side of the rope. But then as my turn rolled around Daddy would walk towards me, pick me up and slowly carry me out to the deep end. Sometimes he would lower me into the water, so my feet could touch the bottom while most times I remained with my head above the water. It didn’t matter to me…the joy was him carrying me to the deep end and showing me a different view with a different perspective, feeling completely safe.

You all know how I love analogies and this image from childhood is one of my most powerful weapons I use against fear. I know that God draws boundaries for my protection just like my dad did in the pool. I know that God spends beautiful time with each of His children. I’m thankful that God carries us throughout every set of circumstances. There are times when He lowers us into scary situations, but He allows us to touch bottom every now and then to get our bearings. Then other times we are carried safely through the calm waters getting a beautiful perspective from His vantage point. But the best part of this image is the trust we can have that He will never let us drown. Even if we are pulled under from the strong currents of our suffering, He will pull us back up and continue to carry us back to the side of the pool. There is a beautiful song written by Bethel Music and Jenn Johnson called ‘In over My Head (Crash over Me) that draws a melodic picture of this trust. Please take a moment and listen to this beautiful assurance that God is in the shallow and deep of our lives.

“- And you crash over me and I’ve lost control but I’m free, I’m going under, I’m in over my head.
- And you crash over me and that’s where you want me to be, I’m going under, I’m in over my head.
- Whether I sink...whether I swim, it makes no difference when I’m beautifully in over my head.
- Whether I sink...whether I swim, it makes no difference when I’m beautifully in over my head” In over My Head, Bethel Music – Jenn Johnson.

No comments: