Thursday, December 27, 2018

Walking Out Our Unknowns

This morning as I was reading Lysa TerKeurst’s book It’s Not Supposed to be This Way her focus was living in the tension of our ‘I don’t know’ circumstances. We all have them, and we all gnaw on them. For me I don’t know when or if there will ever be work again for us. I have several ‘unknowns’ that stay secretly tucked in my heart. I’ll bet you do too whether it is not knowing if love will every come around…not knowing if the marriage can be healed…not knowing if the child will ever walk away from their destructive choices…not knowing if the treatment will work. ‘Whatever your situation is, you probably feel like you can’t change it, but you still have to live through the realities of what’s happening right now. Sometimes you just have to walk in your I DON’T KNOW. And that’s where we get weary and the tentacles of fear of the unknown can have strangling effects on us. Fear seems to be a close cousin of disappointment.’ It’s Not Supposed to be This Way, p. 179.

One of my favorite verses serves as my remedy when my mind and stomach begin churning. When I begin worrying about how my circumstances outside my control will play out, Jesus lifts my chin and reminds me, ‘Look for me and my offerings in theses circumstances and you will find every single thing you need…today…in this very moment. Your circumstances have not randomly found you but are perfectly arranged and detailed for you to experience with Me. You must stay close to Me today to see Me in the small offerings. While tomorrow might usher in the same set of circumstances, it will usher in a different set of things you need from me. What you need today might not be needed tomorrow, so lean on Me and trust in Me.’ (Based on Matthew 6:33-34)

If I can’t change my circumstances, I just might lose heart if left to my own emotions. But God has called us to walk in the Spirit, not in our flesh. Jesus said not to be surprised when bad things happen to His good people. (1 Peter 4:12) When I think about His assurance and having all things in all times in Him, I feel hope in my heart arise. I remember that He says ‘all things will be given to me’ when I seek Him first. When spending time with Him I am comforted through His word, and I walk in the confidence of His promise…so can you. And when the walk gets too weary for me and for you, we can have confidence that He will carry us throughout the journey.

Because you are precious in my sight, You are honored and I love you…Do not fear, for I am with you.’ Isaiah 43:5

No comments: