Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Just as He Was...

During this time, an angel appeared to shepherds who were watching their flocks in the fields near Bethlehem. The angel told them the good news of the birth of the Savior and Messiah, Jesus Christ. The shepherds immediately went to find baby Jesus, which the angels told them they would find sleeping in the manger.” Compiled and edited by the staff at Bible Study Tools.

Today is Christmas and people all around the world will be celebrating how a little baby destined to be a Savior was delivered into this world. I wanted to take some time this morning to really immerse myself in the story of the fulfillment of one of the most anticipated prophesies in the Bible. I wanted to make baby Jesus a bigger than life story this morning as I read it again. But then it dawned on me that I was missing the point. Just like many seekers back then, I was looking for a King only to find a baby. I was looking for pomp and circumstance only to hear the quiet sounds of animals. I was anticipating the bright lights of fireworks but instead was directed to one lone star. And then I understood the important part of the angel’s message to the shepherds. It was one of anticipated celebration…it was one of longing hope...it was one of urgency. And how did the shepherds respond? They went immediately to find baby Jesus. They didn’t clean themselves up, change their clothes or rest up for the trip. They went right then…to find Jesus…just as they were.

And that is the point of Christmas. The invitation and good news of coming to Jesus just as we are…tired…dirty...lost...searching…hopeful that He can save us from our broken lives. God ushered in hope disguised in flesh and sent Him to us just as He was, so we could later come to Him just as we are. He took on flesh so we could take on Spirit. Jesus was delivered into this world, so we could be delivered into the next world. So, in our urgency to dash here and there today to celebrate His birth, let us remember thousands of years ago the path of the shepherds. They weren’t running to parties or get togethers, rather hurrying to stare into the face of the Word made flesh and gather around a wooden trough that possessed a King who would one day trade it in for a throne.

Merry Christmas and may you follow the star today and find Jesus just as you are as the song, Jesus I Come by Elevation Worship. ‘Thank you, Jesus just as I am, I come…Hallelujah, Oh what amazing love!”

No comments: