Monday, August 26, 2019

A Little Slice of Heaven

I had the most amazing weekend! Over the past year a group of us have been planning the 40th reunion for our high school, paying close attention to the smallest of details. Saturday, we met early in the day to prepare for the event and how the details came together exceeded anything in my mind. When the time came for the doors to open, there was a line that had formed to check in for the event. One by one the classmates rounded the corner and entered the banquet room. They had no idea the things we had planned for them before their arrival. Hug after hug…smile after smile…story after story…joy arose, and fellowship thrived in the purest of ways. No politics…no division…no heavy hearts…just people reuniting with their people and a party like no other boasting in the background! Last night, Bruce and I sat for 2 and ½ hours going over the evening and recalling the year that led up to the reunion.

This morning as I sat outside in this 65-degree weather listening to the chirping birds and watching the mist on the lake I was struck by the image of standing in line for Heaven. Every one of us as believers are awaiting our entrance into the biggest reunion we will ever have. We can’t know what lies ahead of us in that grand banquet room, but I do know who will be there to greet me. The Committee who perfectly planned every detail of the last 58 years. To see them face to face will be something I can’t even imagine. They will lead me to a certain table of my people. There I will snuggle up beside my daddy and feel his actual touch again. I will look across and see that million-dollar smile of my sister as our big brown eyes meet each other’s glance. I will move across the table and give my grandparents the biggest hug ever. The party is raging in the background with all kinds of glory and music like I’ve never heard before. There will be no need to turn the lights on for the Godhead will be our Light! And the most beautiful part of all is that the clock never strikes midnight, and Cinderella never has to leave the castle.

And all we must do is to believe…to turn our eyes to Jesus…to fix our gaze on the entrance of Heaven and wait in the most exciting line of all. This past weekend was a slice of Heaven for sure and I will treasure in my heart forever.

"Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever." Rev 22:1-5

No comments: