Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Passed Over

Your lamb shall be without blemish…And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts…of the houses…Now the blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you; and the plague shall not be on you to destroy you.” Exodus 12:5, 7, 12-13.
These verses are a portion of the instructions given to the Israelite's in Egypt to protect them from the plague God was going to strike against the Egyptians. Animals being used as sacrificial offerings to the Lord was the Old Covenant that God made with Abraham. The Israelite's would not have been shocked by this command since it was their norm for the repentance of their sins before God. What was different this time however was the instruction to take some of the blood of the unblemished lamb and smear it on the two doorposts. When the Lord would move throughout the land, those He would save from death would be identified by the visible blood on the door frames. It wasn’t until this morning that I read a verse in 1 Co 5:7 which I have never before read. I have always known that the blood on the doorposts in Exodus was the foreshadowing of the saving blood of Christ being shed for us. But I have never heard Jesus called our Passover until this morning. ‘For indeed Christ; our Passover, was sacrificed of us.’

Because Christ shed His blood although unblemished God sees what Christ did in place of what we do. Instead of Jesus giving an offering He became the offering given for each of us. As a result, eternal death will pass over each of us as believers. There will be a day when God scans the earth, and our very lives will display the character and actions of Christ. Because He will see that we are covered and protected under the blood of Christ we will not be destroyed but have everlasting life. Once Christ died for you and for me, the New Covenant took over and the price of sin was paid once and for all. This truth will never seem normal to me…this truth will always overwhelm me …this truth that a perfect stranger whom I had never met chose to be my Passover wrecks me. And because of the unblemished life of Jesus, my dark stains from sin are washed back to snow white. When Christ is our life, He becomes our covering and His mark upon our lives becomes our redemption. How can a single moment pass without this awareness in our hearts and minds? I’m so thankful I don’t have to ‘sing for my salvation’ or perform for my position in God's family. Indeed Christ…you are our Passover from death and separation from God and our sins are remembered no more.

“For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.” Col 3:4.

No comments: