Friday, September 13, 2019

Having a Little Faith

He replied…Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20

At the end of each day Bruce and I go to an area of our home and recap the day while listening to an array of music. We have always been passionate music lovers so Bruce is constantly searching on the internet for music that we would love. The other night while sitting there enjoying the new songs he downloaded a song began playing that choked me up to the point of silence. It was ‘Have a Little Faith in Me’ by John Hiatt. As I sat there listening to the words with tears streaming down my face, I realized that the words the singer was promising was the reality of how Bruce has cared for me over the years. With each promise in the song, a season would flash through my mind… joyful times…sinful times…fearful times…excruciating times. And with each season that I saw through the eyes of my heart Bruce had been there loving me…carrying me…forgiving me…protecting me. I have faith that Bruce will always be here for me, but it took a series of seasons to understand that the faith I had in him could be trusted.

This morning as I was on the patio praying, I was thanking God for always being there for my family. Suddenly, it dawned on me that the reason Bruce has been so much for me is because God has been so much for him. The overflow and blessings from our fellowship with God will spill over into the people with whom we interact. When we truly begin to understand even a fraction of how loving and powerful God is, we will be able to live above the chaos and fear. It is through our faith that we see our giant defeated while he is still taunting us. It is through our faith we see cancer healed when the doctor gives a grim report. It is because of our faith in God that marriages are restored, prodigals return, and our grieving hearts embrace the promise of future reunions.

Begin your day today with the beautiful reminder that God has so much to give us if we will only ‘have a little faith’ in Him.






No comments: