Monday, September 2, 2019

Resting on the Promises

“When the feet…who carry the Ark of the Lord…come to rest in the…waters, it’s waters will be cut off…the water flowing downstream will stand up in a mass.” Joshua 3:13

I absolutely LOVE the historical account of Joshua and the Israelite's crossing over the Jordan to receive what God had promised them for decades…the Promised Land. I have read this chapter so many times which has brought me such comfort during times when I was facing the unknown. But is wasn’t until this morning when a little word was lifted off the page and into my heart. The word ‘rest’ revealed to me a new meaning for the crossing of the deep waters. This small verse shows an action on the Israelite's part that must occur before the path became passable. The blessing of delivery would only come once their feet came to rest in the rushing and dangerous flooding waters.

Rest…another word for peace and acceptance. Rest is the beautiful offering of worship expressing our trust and confidence in God. In order for the rushing waters to be cut off in any of our circumstances we must first step into the chaos firmly believing in God’s protection and provision. As believers, you and I carry the Ark of the Lord in our hearts. We are all called to the edge of the flooding plains that look impassable…that look hopeless…that look impossible. But our Ark tells us to have courage and step out…our Ark promises us that He can make all things possible…our Ark loves us and will never remove His protection from around us. So, our part is to step out…to believe…to REST in His promises…to accept His will for this first step. Once we are resting in His will, we will begin to see His movement and have confidence in the waters of fear being cut off. God will stack up our obstacles to the right and left of us allowing us to pass through them on dry ground.

I don’t know about you, but rest is the one thing I need when going through all times, both good and bad. I am so thankful that God’s word never grows stale and that when I need one fresh word to guide me into action, He is faithful. Our word for the day…for the situation…for the journey up ahead is REST in Him.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: