Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Tending to our Vineyards

My Well-beloved has a vineyard on a very fruitful hill. He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a watchtower in the midst of it, and he looked for it to yield grapes. But it yielded wild grapes.” Isaiah 5:2

Many years ago, Bruce and I visited a winery on a chilly but beautiful day. Its building was anything but impressive, but we assumed that its vineyards would be its glory. After much talk with the owner about the vineyard’s history, she took us through the gift shop. She offered a tour of the grounds and as we approached the downstairs exit out to the covered area, a pungent odor knocked us over. It was overwhelming and made me nauseous. The owner apologized and explained that they also make vinegar which uses a process from grapes as they sour. I don’t remember much from that day except for the overwhelming pungent smell of souring grapes.

“In the passage [above], the meaning of the word translated ‘wild’ carries wider connotations than being untamable. It can also mean sour, bitter, unripe, worthless, or even rotten. But the most insulting interpretation of all is ‘stinking’…Only one thing is worse than producing no fruit; producing bad fruit.Chasing Vines, Beth Moore, p. 63, 71. God has given us all fertile land where we are to bear much fruit…fruit that points to God…fruit that drips with Christ…fruit that displays the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, [and] self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23) This morning I had to consider the author’s question as it relates to my vineyard. ‘Is what I’m doing bearing good fruit?’ I know that like the winery we visited, I have areas where I am making vinegar. In the past, I have dug and cleared out my own will for my life planting material things looking for the yield of satisfaction which never came. Eventually, I invited the Gardener into my vineyard allowing Him to pull up vines, to prune unyielding limbs and to nourish the soil so fruit might one day grow. He was and still is faithfully showing me wild grapes in my vineyard that reflect sour and rotten attitudes. ‘Inspection becomes an act of obedience.’ p. 72. Thankfully, God is patient, loving and willing to kneel beside us as we tend to our vineyards in hopes of bearing good fruit.

No comments: