Thursday, November 19, 2020

Here I Am!

Then the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, ‘Where are you?’” Genesis 3:9

“Scholars estimate…that the Bible is home to somewhere around thirty-three hundred inquiries depending upon the translation…Hundreds of questions are exchanged laterally between humans…but the ones that will most profoundly shape our landscape will be vertical: questions man asks of God and those God asks of man…To walk with God is to be on a quest. And a quest is no quest without questions.” The Quest, Beth Moore, p. 14.
Considering the fact that my devotionals are usually written out of the overflow of my Bible Studies it dawns on me this morning that the next 6 weeks might be awkward to write. Our questions to God at best are those which we are too embarrassed to ask or those we push into our subconscious not really wanting to know the answer. But my questions at worst will be in full view which leaves me feeling vulnerable and a bit embarrassed. But, like Jesus instructs us in Matthew 10:27, ‘Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak it the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.’ Over the next 6 weeks I will share whatever questions the Lord leads me to for transparency and shared encouragement.
Today’s instructions were to answer the same question God asked Adam and Eve in the garden, ‘Where are you? As I re-read my answer to this question, I have written statements regarding different circumstances I presently face. My written statement in part is as follows: ‘Excited and joyful because of good news. Humble that I am being used by God in certain areas, but also feeling insecure at the same time. Impatient still having to live with Covid, but grateful my family has not been devastated by it. Disappointed in government with no good answers. Weary in waiting on a promise God gave me years ago, but fully expecting it to be realized. Praising God for giving me self-discipline in an area I’ve needing for years. Frustrated that I am battling jealousy in a few areas of my life.WHEW! What a mess but without honesty freedom will tarry and intimacy with God will fade.
I encourage you this morning to consider the call from Ge 3:9. God doesn’t ask these questions out of condemnation but out of a longing to engage more deeply with us.
Where are you?


No comments: