Monday, December 7, 2020

Raising our Voice

“John stood with two of his disciples. And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God!’ The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, ‘What do you seek?’” John 1:35-38

I just LOVE the nickname the Bible gives John the Baptist which defines his very life…FORERUNNER for Christ. John was created with the sole purpose of announcing the coming of a Savior. He walked in the world but was not of the world, except to have his life point to the life of Jesus. His message was so powerful in regards to the coming Messiah that John drew his own bevy of followers. As a matter of fact, the first two disciples whom Jesus called (both Andrew and Simon) were followers of John. They had heard all the stories of Jesus and had become very acquainted with the message. But all of the stories John had shared must have failed in comparison as soon as Jesus turned and looked directly at them as they followed. They finally had personally met the One whom they had heard so much about. From then on, the disciples had first-hand intimacy with Jesus instead of second-hand stories.

I know what that feels like to finally ‘meet Jesus’ after hearing so much about Him. From the time of my first memory I knew that my parents and grandparents knew Jesus. They took me to church and I was infiltrated with stories of who Jesus was, and the life He lived while on earth. I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know that Jesus was Savior for the world. My grandparents and parents were forerunners just like John, never allowing me to forget who Jesus was and what He did for me. I followed the message second-hand just like Andrew and Simon Peter but then one day, Jesus turned towards me and became my first-hand experience with a first-hand God. I’ve never been the same since Christ turned towards me, and have felt the call ever since to be a ‘forerunner to Christ,’ testifying to everything He has done…everything He is doing even today…and all He will do tomorrow and forever!

As believers, we probably all have memories of those precious forerunners to Christ…grandparents, parents, Sunday School teachers and pastors. As we have been given the good news, much is required in sharing it. I’m so grateful that John the Baptist showed us the way of speaking out about Jesus…being unapologetic for our loyalty to Jesus…and pointing the way to where others can find Jesus through our own lives.

We cannot be shy or passive about the message of love…of mercy…of sacrifice…of hope…of peace. Our message about Christ demands our courage just like the cross demanded His. May we all have forerunner hearts and forerunner voices as we anticipate the arrival of Baby Jesus.


No comments: