Friday, January 28, 2022

Equipped to Run

Each person is given something to do that shows who God is.” 1 Co 12:7 (The Message)


Years ago, I was asked to speak at a women’s conference in our church. Honestly, I do not enjoy speaking and would prefer sitting behind a screen typing in my pajamas with unbrushed hair. The only reason that I accepted this invitation was that I felt God was behind it. So, with doubt flooding my heart and anxiety reigning in my thoughts I talked through it with Bruce. I raised several concerns regarding the speech but the one concern I most remember was the fact that I was going to take notes with me to help with the speech. I told Bruce that I felt like a failure that I couldn’t memorize the whole thing like our pastor does during his sermons. I will never forget the words Bruce said to me that calmed my anxieties and settled my soul. He said, ‘Brenda, God did not create you to be Talbot. He created you to be Brenda.’ I have used that line for years whenever I am feeling insecure about anything I have been called to do. 
Psalm 139:13 and 15 states that we were ‘knit...together...woven together in the dark of the womb...intricately and skillfully formed...’ We are uniquely designed, uniquely fashioned and uniquely equipped. We cannot spend our lives comparing ourselves to others who are uniquely created in another way. When we are walking in our Spirit-driven calling for which we were specifically equipped, our lives will reflect God and the fruit of our hands will be blessed. Every single person ever created was given a gift from God to use to bring others to Him. Our gift is found in our own lane – not the lane in which others are running.

So when you begin again...run your own race. Nothing good happens when you compare and compete. God does not judge you according to the talents of others. He judges you according to yours. His yardstick for measuring faithfulness is how faithful you are with your own gifts. You are not responsible for the nature of your gift. But you are responsible for how you use it.Begin Again, Max Lucado, p. 110




No comments: