Monday, January 24, 2022

Let's Make a Deal

God did this [gave us his promise and his oath] so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged.” Hebrews 6:18

When I was a little girl, I loved the show Let’s Make a Deal. I would sit cross-legged as close to the television as I could without being told to scoot back so I would not ruin my eyes. I couldn’t wait to see the big reveal behind each of the doors to see if I had correctly guessed. All three doors were set before the contestant and their responsibility was to choose the door which they felt held the best prize. Sometimes it was a dud while others times it was an amazing blessing to take home. But what was received was always anchored in which door the contestant reached for.

As this childhood show came to mind this morning, it reminded me of this verse. We, too, have choices set before us when the stress rises...the bills are due...the tests reveal the disease...the marriage is strained. God created us fully aware that we would need an anchor for our souls while walking out our journey on earth. ‘Your soul unites you to God. And your soul needs an anchor...Our anchor is set in the very throne of God. It will never break free. The rope will never snap.’ Begin Again, Max Lucado, p.79.

My mind turns back to the gameshow as I consider the different doors that were set before me during a dark time. I set my hope on Door #3 which was a definite DUD...secret spending... falsehoods told to Bruce...unhealthy comforts. But God has been true to His promise that once I flee from other doors and reach for Him, I can rest in the abundance of His power and have hope. Max goes on to ask a very poignant question. ‘Is what I’m hooked to stronger than what I’ll go through? Everyone is anchored to something.’ Anchored to a money account...anchored to power and position...anchored to a credit card...anchored to a hidden bottle of alcohol...Anchored to a secret relationship. These anchors that exist behind these doors are dead-ends and will certainly decay every aspect of our lives.

'People of the new beginning make daily decisions to secure their anchors in the promises of God...They can walk you through horrific tragedies. They can buoy you in the day-to-day difficulties. They are, indeed, the great and precious promises of God' p. 84. 




No comments: