Tuesday, January 18, 2022

No Solo Journeys

“You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head.” Psalm 139:5

I think we can all agree that it was really nice to see the beautiful snowfall over the past couple days. It was peaceful and serene Sunday morning as I sat in the candle-lit dark sipping my coffee watching the huge snowflakes drift slowly to the ground. I have learned over 38 years that this peaceful serenity after a snow will be interrupted with the reality we cannot get out of our driveway. We live at the bottom of a steep drive and must always deal with the dilemma of getting to the top of our drive safely after we have a visit from snow and ice. We always park one car at the top of the hill for emergency purposes. Sunday was no different but thankfully Bruce has a tractor and he drove it up and down the driveway creating a thinner footprint for the sun to melt our ice. As I sat in my warm home watching TV, I heard the rumblings of his tractor. I went to the window and was overcome with gratitude for how Bruce was creating a solution to our problem. Once he cleared the drive from ice to slush, we drove my car to the top to get his car. As I drove cautiously back down, he followed me with his truck to ensure I was safe. His presence in my life is such a blessing to me.

I read a line this morning in my Bible study regarding how God, through His Spirit, works things out that we haven’t even considered. ‘God never promises an absence of distress on your journey. But he does promise the assuring presence of His Holy Spirit...This is no solo journey.Begin Again, Max Lucado, p. 52. How many difficult situations have we been in only to have them suddenly resolve themselves? How often does worry turn into relief when we realize something didn’t come to pass? How can we explain how fear suddenly diminishes to peace? There is but one explanation and it is the ongoing, inexhaustible, and inexplainable workings of the Holy Spirit.

Not only does the Spirit of God go before us preparing our journey, but He follows us to ensure we stay safe on the path up ahead. Next time you feel lonely and scared to take the next step just remember...you have a constant companion on your journey...no one journeys alone! 




No comments: