Monday, July 28, 2008

Invitation to Rest

"Come to me," he invites, "all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28 NIT).

God does not command this of us just as a party host doesn't command our presence at their party. Because they enjoy and care for us as friends or family, they invite us to spend time with them intimately. Our Father also invites us to hand over our burdens at the door of our hearts so He can help us experience Him in full. We cannot experience the full measure of God if our arms are full of fear, grief, disbelief, anger or weariness.

He invites us to lay down what we are carrying so He may fill our arms with rest, love and comfort. It is an invitation that is extended daily but up to us as to how often we accept the opportunity to fellowship.

Lay your burdens down at the feet of the cross and curl up in the Savior's lap.

1 comment:

Benita Miller said...

Brenda, How inviting it sounds to 'curl up in the Savior's lap.' I remember when I was a little girl, I loved to climb up in my mother's lap. I felt there was no safer or more peaceful place than that. Now, I know there's no other place I'd rather be than in the lap of my Heavenly Father's. What peace! Have a wonderful day!
Love, Mother