Wednesday, July 30, 2008

You Become What You Think

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9.


When I was a child I use to try to act like my mother when playing with my dolls. I would rock them, speak tenderly to them, dry their tears and be a mommy to their every need. I took on the character and attitudes of my mommy.

When I was a teenager I use to try on other personalities to see how they fit when I met a new friend - my mother can attest to this. She use to always say that I would begin acting like whomever I started hanging out with. Luckily, the constant change of wardrobe didn't do any lasting damage but did teach me that some things I saw, learned or heard from others that seemed to work for them didn't work for me.

As a child and friend of Christ I am counting on taking on His image, personality and characteristics but this time I am hoping for permanence. The search is over and the classroom is in place. Through seeing Him, hearing Him and learning from Him I can put into practice His ways, His dreams, His thoughts - not mine.

And the peace of God will be with me!

1 comment:

Don said...

There is an old business proverb that says, "Whatever the mind conceives, you can acheive".

This only works if you truly dedicate and educate yourself to the concept of "I know I can".

Paul in his writings to the church at Phillipi challenged the believers to have the mind of Christ, the knowledge of Christ, and the peace of Christ. Sound advice to Christians in this day of conflict.