Monday, March 23, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Phil. 4:9.

How can we get better at something with no practice? There are things in this world we want to become efficient in that we are willing to work on hours upon end (such as Facebook!). What if we put into practice everything our trials have shown us, each lesson God laid upon our heart. Practice ending in results will make us motivated and excited to share our experiences with others. It breathes life into what we are working so hard to achieve - living life on the spiritual level instead of the earthly level.

In doing my Bible Study this morning (Max Lucado - Come Thirsty) he states "Don't look forward in fear, look backward in appreciation. God's proof is God's past. Forgetfulness sires fearfulness, but a good memory makes for a good heart. - Focus less on the problems ahead and more on the victories behind."

By doing this we rehearse and reminise on times God was faithful and we practice future faith through past victories.

2 comments:

MommaG823 said...

You are so right about the time we spend on other things like Facebook, but yet you hear so many say that they do not have time for a daily devotion or time for prayer. I set aside time each morning for my daily devotion and bible reading. My prayer time is on my ride to work. I ride surrounded by the beauty of the earth - the mountains are on each side to the east and west. The birds and geese make their winter and spring migration right down I-81! Since moving to PA over 4 years ago, we have seen a much slower pace of life. Our area is full of Mennonite farmers. It is awesome to watch them in their daily lives. We watch as they milk their cows, plant corn, harvest their fields - over and over each season. I sometimes find myself riding down the road singing - "For the beauty of the earth!" The Mennonite's also post signs with scripture verses and sayings at the end of their driveway. This morning as I prayed for the Pettit family I passed two signs with words that I needed for my prayer. Taking time to slow down and enjoy, while at the same time slowing down to make time for God. Two important elements in this thing we call life :-)

Brenda Emmons said...

Sheila, your visual of your surroundings made me cry for some reason. You are fortunate that so much of God's majesty is so visual everywhere you drive. Thanks for sharing that beautiful image. I am so thankful for your blog. I needed it today.