Monday, March 30, 2009

Who Am I?

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

This has always been one of my dad's favorite Bible verses and it is equally mine. Our church is sponsoring a new program, Life Hurts God Heals - H.O.P.E. Chapter (Helping Other Parents Endure) which is support for parents of troubled teens. When my husband and I were traveling through our daughter's drug addiction it was so easy for me to redefine who I was based on her very public and destructive lifestyle. I took on her sins for reconciliation and diminshed my value in my own eyes. I felt the shame and disgrace of her sins and inevitably assigned myself the worth that went along with the sins of someone else.

In looking back, I wish I would have carried this verse around with me on an index card and read it throughout every day. With so many adults wounded from childhood experiences, broken relationships and life's daily wounds it is easy to redefine our worth.

God chose us first because He loved us first. Our love for Him was a response to Him first loving us. We cannot receive His love until we remind ourselves that we are valued enough by Him to deserve His love.

When faced with situations that diminish our value recite this verse to remind yourself of your amazing worth to an amazing God. Don't allow the wounds, pain and journeys of others to define your worth.

1 comment:

MommaG823 said...

Thanks for shedding new light on this verse - love you :-)